We are now launching the BSGE Video Competition for Doctors in Training, Consultants, SAS doctors,General Practitioners, Nurse Hysteroscopists, paramedic members and the overseas members of the society. The overseas members of the society are invited to submit their surgical videos for this competition for the first time.
There will be 3 prizes of £300 for each category including,
1) Doctors in Training,
3) Consultants/SAS doctors/GP doctors.
4) Overseas members (from any category).
Winning the Video competition will enhance your CV and will provide the same CPD points as publishing a paper in a journal.
To enter the competition you need to complete the following by midnight 26th April 2019.
- Upload your video (s), following instructions below
- Complete and submit online application form.
- Winner’s names and their videos will be published on the BSGE website. The length of time videos will remain on the website may vary. Some of the unsuccessful videos may also be published on the video library at the editor’s discretion.
What kind of Videos will be considered?
It is not all about demonstrating exceptional surgical skills. If you think your fellow members will find your video useful and educational, then it is a good video to submit. For example, a well-edited video of a salpingectomy for ectopic pregnancy that demonstrates the standard technique, shows the anatomy well, uses appropriate graphics and is accompanied by a well-written summary is a video that may win a prize. Other examples include: demonstration of simple tips and tricks, complications and their management, challenging or rare cases, anatomical variations, demonstrating a new surgical euipement as well as more advanced techniques. Videos using simulators may also be submitted.
The description of the video is very important and is considered carefully by the judges. A well-written educational summary (less than 250 words) is likely to increase your score.
The video must be completely anonymised, both for the surgeon and the patient. It must only contain views of internal organs or a simulation exercise.
The way to submit a surgical video
Please ensure that you have a good fast connection prior to commencing the submission process. The surgical video uploaded should not exceed 6 minutes.
- Please visit https://wetransfer.com/
- Click on “Continue to WeTransfer” if prompted
- Click on + Add your files (WeTransfer may accept 2GB videos but if over 1 GB will be rejected).
- Type in firstname.lastname@example.org the “Email to” section
- Please write in the ” message” section your name and category of prize you are entering (e.g. Consultant, trainee etc.)
- Finally click on Transfer.
– WeTransfer is an end to end encrypted cloud space.
– Submitted surgical videos should be less 6 minutes long and less than 1 Gigabyte (GB) otherwise it will be rejected.
– All videos should be uploaded in mp4 format ONLY
– If you have NOT received any confirmation email, please email email@example.com If no action before the deadline will not result in shortlisting.
Whilst submission of multiple videos by the same person is permitted, (separate application forms need to be filled in for each submitted video).
Please note, only 1 prize per applicant can be awarded in each category.
Judging Process: The judging panel would consider the content of summary, surgical skills demonstrated, educational value and the quality of the surgical videos during scoring process. The panel will choose the winners based on the total scores and that will be the final decision.
Date for submission
Submission deadline- midnight 26th April 2019.
BSGE Surgical Video Competition 2019 is NOW CLOSED.