What do we really mean by "Shaving" rectovaginal nodules?

Front Page Forums Expert Opinions What do we really mean by "Shaving" rectovaginal nodules?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Shaheen Khazali Shaheen Khazali 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Shaheen Khazali
    Shaheen Khazali
    Participant

I have always been surprised by how for years we have been using the word “Shave” but actually mean completely different things!

What do “you” mean when you say you have shaved the disease:

1-When the disease is stuck to the serosa of the bowel and is pulling it up or to the side. You manage to separate the bowel from the disease and drop it down, hence removing all the disease from the surface of the bowel.

2-When the nodule is involving the muscularis and you manage to remove the involved part of the muscularis without entering the lumen.

3- When the nodule is involving the muscularis and you remove part of the disease, leaving a “rim of fibrotic tissue” behind. you probably have left some disease behind.

In the last few days, at the ISGE in Croatia, I spoke to many eminent surgeons from all over the world and boy oh boy, we don’t speak the same language! not even when it comes to the name of our procedures.

What do you mean by a Shave? 1,2,3 or it depends?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Subscribe

Subscribe to our newsletter to receive regular updates on news, meeting, courses and members.

• I am happy to receive emails with the latest updates from BSGE

Twitter Feed

Member Login

Forgot Password?

Join Us